Beach & sea
Capo Boi is situated in the heart of the Protected Marine Area of "Capo Carbonara”, one of the natural jewels that characterize the territory of Villasimius. A true paradise of uncontaminated nature that encompasses the coastline from Capo Boi (Cala Pisanu) to Punta Porceddus, forming a “V” shaped bay, embracing the “Isola dei Cavoli” and the island of Serpentara. Established by the Ministry of the Environment in 1999, the protected marine area of Villasimius was created to protect the incredible variety of wildlife and marine flora. To discover its charm and all the amazing colours of this underwater world you just need fins, mask and snorkel, while the more experienced diver can practice seawatching with a rebreather.
On windless days you will have the impression of diving into a beautiful aquarium where, while swimming undisturbed between the yellow clusters of anemone and the red gorgonias, you will be able to admire many wildlife species typical of the Sardinian sea. It is common to encounter schools of peaceful Mediterranean barracuda. You will also be able to admire the Pinna Nobilis, the largest bivalve mollusc of the Mediterranean.
Not to be missed is the underwater area, Posidonia Oceanica, an ancient spontaneously-growing sea grass that adapted to conditions on the Mediterranean seabed about 120 million years ago…This swings with the moving tides and acquires a golden colour when sunlight penetrates the crystal clear waters, a truly incredible experience….
Tour around the island
The island is lined with a coastal road that’s easy to navigate by car. Wide beaches and small bays beckon for refreshing stops with plunges into the crystal-clear water.
the top beaches
- Cala Goloritze – a dream beach, only accessible by boat from Arbatax or Cala Gonone
- Costa Rei – chosen by Lonely Planet as one of the ten most beautiful beaches in the world
- Porto Istana – north-east of the island
- Cala Giunco in Villasimius – a filming location for many commercials
- Cala Pira – Caribbean white sand beach
- Cala Peppino – Lagoon extending into the sea. Shallow water. Perfect for small children
- Cala Luna – only accessible by boat
- Cala Banana – Twin bay with beach bar
- Cala Brandinchi – white sandy beach and blue waters brightened by the midday sun.
- Capriccioli – dream-like beach near Porto Cervo