The castle has been the distinctive mark of the city for a long time. Already in 907AD it was mentioned in records from Salzburg. Slavic people built up a strong fort which became a significant centre of the Greater Moravian Empire. The fort was renovated between 1953 and 1968. Currently part of the castle serves as a presentation area for the Slovak National Council, while another area houses a section of the Slovak National Museums collection - expositions of fantastic jewels from yesteryear - and the Museum of History.